Join 69-time Award Winning News Director Zach Nelson for news on these Performance Radio Stations.
KOKK 1210 AM
- 7:06 AM Local and State News Headlines brought to you by Slumberland
- 8:06 AM Local News and News From Across South Dakota brought to you by BW Insurance of Huron (Mon, Wed, Fri) and Pro Realty (Tues, Thurs)
- 12:10 PM Local News and News From Across South Dakota brought to you by Slumberland of Huron
- 3:30 PM KOKK News Update
- 5:06 PM Local News and News From Across South Dakota
Tiger 95.3 FM/1340 AM KIJV
- 7 AM Local and State News brought to you by Pro Realty
- 8 AM Local and State News brought to you by Slumberland of Huron
- 9 AM Local and State News
- 12 PM Local and State News
- 5 PM Local and State News
The Big News on Big Jim 93.3 FM
- 12:20 PM brought to you by TK Electric Mitchell, Honda of Mitchell, Gary’s Paintless Dent Repair and Palace Motosports Mitchell.
- 5:20 PM brought to you by The AmericInn Lodge and Suites, Java Hut of Huron, Easy Come Easy Go Convenience Store and Avera Home Medical
Zach Nelson came to Performance Radio in November of 2008 after spending 5 and a half years out of radio. He began his radio career in 1999 in Mitchell, SD. In 2001 came a move to radio in Madison, SD, where he first met Shawn Martin and Matt Watson. Nelson then moved in 2002 to KIJV pre-Performance Radio. After a short stint in Huron he returned to his radio roots in Mitchell when he left broadcasting in May of 2003. Nelson has received 33 of the prestigious Eric Sevareid awards for excellence in broadcast journalism presented by the Midwest Broadcast Journalist Association winning 15 First Place and 18 Award of Merit awards between 2010 and 2015. Stations in a six-state region including North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Minnesota, Iowa and Wisconsin compete by market size for Sevareids. Nelson has 27 awards from the Associated Press. They include 13 First Place, five Second Place and nine Third Place (2011, 2015). In October of 2010, Nelson’s testimony before the South Dakota Supreme Court on allowing cameras in the courtroom, aided the Supreme Court in creating the “audio only” option, if all parties can not agree on the use of video cameras during a court proceeding. In June of 2011 Nelson became the first news director in South Dakota to request expanded coverage of a South Dakota trial court and on July 1st, 2011, joined KELO-TV in broadcasting live for the first time a trial court proceeding from a South Dakota court room. For his work in getting cameras into South Dakota Courts, he was given the 2015 Tom Brokaw Award, presented by the South Dakota Broadcaster’s Association and the University of South Dakota. He is from Lake Elmo, Minnesota and has a daughter named Taylor he enjoys bragging about during his air shift on 1210 AM KOKK from 11 AM to 4 PM. He is also a trained severe weather spotter and handles most severe weather coverage on Performance Radio.
He is also active in the community and a member of the following boards and groups:
- Beadle County Local Emergency Planning Committee
- 2013 Graduate Leadership Huron
- 2012 Graduate Huron Police Department Citizen’s Police Academy
- City of Huron Reserve Police Officer